Vanilla Raspberry Mini Meringues
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon raspberry liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 175º F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment.
- Add 3 inches of water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat so the water is simmering. In a large metal bowl (the bowl for your stand mixer would be perfect), add the egg whites and the sugar. Stir together with a rubber spatula just until mixed.
- Place the bowl over the simmering water and heat the eggs, sugar, and the salt scrapping down the sides of the bowl frequently, until all of the sugar crystals have dissolved. You can check this by touching the liquid on the spatula and rubbing it between your fingers to feel for grit.
- Once the sugar is dissolved, move the bowl to your stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or use a hand mixer. Beat the egg whites on medium-high speed until thick with just stiff peaks. The egg whites should be opaque and glossy.
- Stir in the liqueur and the vanilla until incorporated.
- Place the fluffy mixture in a large pastry bag fitted with a large star decorating tip. (I used a 1M.) Fill the pastry bag ¾ full. Twist the end to secure.
- Pipe small, ½" to ¾" stars on the parchment leaving a small amount of space between each tiny star. These do not spread, so there is no need to leave room for expansion, but you also don't want them to run the risk of drying together.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1½ hours. Turn off the oven, prop open the oven door, and allow the cookies to continue cooling and drying inside for at least 30 minutes before removing.
- Once the cookies are dry, store them in an airtight container until ready to serve. Do not expose to moisture or humidity or the meringues will lose their crispness.
You can use different liqueurs or leave it out all together.
Author: Shaina Olmanson
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours 25 mins
Recipe by Food for My Family at http://foodformyfamily.com/recipes/vanilla-raspberry-mini-meringue-kisses