Kasha Buckwheat Porridge with Toasted Hazelnuts, Bitter Greens, and Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup baby bitter greens (kale, chard, spinach)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons fresh grated parmesan
- 2 tablespoons hazelnuts
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan. Pour in the groats and cook, stirring frequently, until toasted. Add the water and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 10-12 minutes.
- While the groats are cooking, in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Stir in the garlic, followed by the greens. Cook just until wilted, then stir the greens into the groats in the saucepan.
- Add the oil to the remaining butter to the frying pan. Reduce heat to medium and add the eggs. Spoon oil over the tops of the eggs for sunny-side up, or cook as desired.
- Stir the parmesan into the cooked groats and greens, and then spoon the porridge into two bowls. Top each bowl with an egg.
- Lightly toast the hazelnuts in the remaining oil in the frying pan just until they begin to brown. Add over the tops of the bowls, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
If you are using pre-roasted buckwheat groats, often sold as "kasha," you can omit the first step of toasting them in oil.
Author: Shaina Olmanson
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Recipe by Food for My Family at http://foodformyfamily.com/recipes/savory-kasha-buckwheat-porridge-toasted-hazelnuts-bitter-greens-and-parmesan