Lavender Lemon Sablé Cookies
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened (European-style butter is preferred)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 lemons, zested
- ¼ teaspoon dried lavender
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 cups flour
- For the glaze
- 1¼ cups confectioners' sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from the zested lemons)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon dried lavender
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until creamy. Add in the granulated sugar, confectioner's sugar, salt, lemon zest, and the lavender and beat until smooth.
- Add in the egg yolks and beat until well blended. Then add all the flour at once. Mix until the flour has been incorporated being careful not to overmix. The dough should look crumbly like wet sand.
- Scrape the dough into a ball in the bowl you mixed it in. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Once the dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 350ºF. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it out on a lightly floured surface to ¼" thick.
- Using a 2" cookie or biscuit cutter, cut 2" rounds from the dough. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet 1" apart. Once the sheet is filled with cookie dough, slide it into the freezer for 10 minutes. Repeat with all cookie dough and sheets.
- Remove the sheet from the freezer and place it immediately into the oven. Bake for 15-18 minutes, just until centers are set, but edges are not browning. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet.
- When the cookies are still warm but not hot, mix together the glaze. Sift the confectioners' sugar to remove lumps, and then stir in the lemon juice until desired consistency is reached. The glaze should be thick, but not stiff. Stir in the lemon zest and lavender.
- Using a small spoon, apply a small teaspoon-sized bit of glaze to the center of each cookie. Use the back of the spoon to spread it across the cookie's surface. Allow the glaze to set completely before serving or packaging. Makes approximately 48 cookies.
Author: Shaina Olmanson
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 18 mins
Total time: 48 mins
Recipe by Food for My Family at http://foodformyfamily.com/recipes/lavender-lemon-sable-cookies