Spring Vegetable Chicken Pot Pie
- For the thyme crust:
- 1 recipe Perfect All-Butter Pie Crust
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- For the filling:
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (leaves on the stem)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (more or less to taste)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (butter, bacon grease)
- 2 leeks, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups quartered radishes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup shelled English peas
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1½ cups shredded chicken
- For finishing the crust:
- 1 tablespoon cream
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- To serve:
- 3 cups baby arugula leaves
- To make the crust, follow the directions in Perfect All-Butter Pie Crust recipe, omitting the sugar and adding in the thyme in its place.
- While the dough is resting, make the filling. Start by combining the boiling water with the thyme and rosemary sprigs and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan over medium high heat, heat the oil of your choice. Add in the leeks and cook for 5 minutes until they start to soften. Add the radishes and carrots and cook 5 more minutes. Stir in the peas, garlic, fresh thyme, parsley, and arrowroot powder. Stir to incorporate and cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly, while stirring, incorporate the wine. Add about ¼ cup and stir to incorporate before adding more. Once the wine has been added, stir in the chicken.
- Remove the sprigs from the boiling water from earlier. Slowly stir the infused water into the mix. Cook just until the sauce starts to thicken. Add extra salt if desired. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- When you are ready to bake the pie, preheat the oven to 415ºF. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll out one disc to cover a 10" pie plate. Fit the dough into the plate, and then roll out the second disc.
- Fill the bottom layer of dough with the chicken and vegetable filling. Place the top rolled dough over the filling. Crimp the edges to seal.
- Brush the top layer with the cream, and sprinkle with sea salt. Cut small slits in the dough with a sharp knife to vent.
- Bake at 415ºF for 20 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350ºF and continue cooking for 30-35 more minutes, until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Serve slices over the arugula.
Author: Shaina Olmanson
Prep time: 40 mins
Cook time: 55 mins
Total time: 1 hour 35 mins
Recipe by Food for My Family at http://foodformyfamily.com/recipes/spring-vegetable-chicken-pot-pie