Chocolate Spice Tea Cakes
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon chocolate spice tea or other spiced tea, finely ground
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup finely ground almond flour
- For the ganache:
- 4 ounces heavy cream or coconut cream
- 4 ounces dark chocolate
- Using 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, liberally grease 36 mini muffin tins. Apply a light coating of flour, and then set them aside. If your coconut oil is a solid, melt it slightly until liquid and then set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat the eggs until frothy, then add the sugar while mixing. Continue to beat on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes, until the eggs are thick and ribbons form when the beaters are turned off and lifted from the bowl.
- Stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom, tea, and the salt. Sift the flours into the bowl, ⅓ cup at a time, folding after each addition. Fold in the remaining ½ cup coconut oil.
- Fill the mini muffin or tart tins ⅔ full, about 1 tablespoon per mold. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. While the oven is preheating, place the tins in the freezer to chill slightly.
- Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Remove from the oven, run a knife gently around the tins to release the cakes, and allow to cool completely.
- To make the ganache, place the cream into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat just until it simmers. Remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate. Whisk until thick and smooth.
- Allow the ganache to cool slightly so that it stiffens just a bit, and then dip the cakes into them. Place on a wire rack to allow them to set. Alternatively, you can simply dust the cakes with powdered sugar to finish them.
These cakes can be made in a madeleine pan. Simply follow the instructions as written, adding a generous tablespoon to each madeleine mold. The cooking time remains the same.
Author: Shaina Olmanson
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Recipe by Food for My Family at http://foodformyfamily.com/recipes/chocolate-spice-tea-cakes-fair-trade-for-mothers-day