One of the things we strive for when planning our menus is making everything fit together into one nice, neat little package. We look to use ingredients in different ways throughout the week so that we’re benefiting from the ability of do-aheads and being able to buy in bulk. We also benefit from a well-stocked pantry.
Starting this week I’m participating in an exciting series that was spearheaded by Jessica from LifeasMOM focusing on how we can continue to feed our family without breaking the bank. I know people sometimes think we must spend a lot on groceries every week, especially with a family of six, but we work to keep our budget under control and in check.
I hope you’ll join us for the series and check out the posts by these other lovely ladies as we focus on different ways we each use to save money when buying the food that feeds our family, break down meals and explore the topic from the different regions of the continent we’re from as well.
- Aimee from Simple Bites
- Alyssa from Kingdom First Mom
- Carrie from Denver Bargains
- Jessica from LifeasMOM
- Katie from Good Life Eats
- Katie from Kitchen Stewardship
- Mandi from Life Your Way
- Shaina from Food for My Family
- Tammy from Tammy’s Recipes
The Preparation Shortcuts:
1. Save 1 pound of chicken on Monday for the soup. Make chicken stock from the leftover carcass.
2. Cook all the potatoes ahead of time so they are ready for the frittata the next day.
3. Use similar ingredients throughout the week: spinach in the soup and the frittata, potatoes in the curry and the frittata, chicken on Monday and in the soup Thursday.
4. Make naan to serve with the curry and use it as a crust for the pizza. Use leftover vegetables to top the pizza.
The Shopping List:
1 whole roaster chicken
4 ounces frozen salad shrimp
14 1/2-ounce can fire-roasted or stewed tomatoes with chiles
3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
1 bunch scallions
8-12 ounces baby spinach
1 small knob ginger
1 bunch carrots
1 bunch fresh parsley
1/2 cup Greek-style yogurt
1/2 cup ricotta
6 ounces Romano or Parmesan
6 ounces mozzarella
chicken and vegetable broth
Last week from Food for My Family: