A recipe for roasted radishes with fresh thyme and parsley and a simple dressing of champagne vinegar and raw honey for a scintillating summer side.
I want summer to feel a certain way. This way involves warm breezes that blow through my house, my kids playing contentedly outside together, plenty of time for bike rides to the ice cream shop, lingering on walks around the lake, journaling in the grass, and reading on blankets outdoors.
Instead, summer feels like toomuchtodo-andafinitenumberofdaystodoallthethingsin-anddidyouforgetawaterbottle-whereisyourswimsuit-hasanyoneeatenlunch-whattimeisyourbaseballgame-whatweforgotsoccer-wherearethekeys-it’srainingrunforthecar-didanyoneweedthegarden-yesIwishwehadairconditioningtoo.
If you take the time to decipher that, you’ll learn that my garden is in desperate need of weeding. I have post-traumatic mosquito avoidance disorder from the last time I smartly chose to do so at dusk. The welts lasted for days, and I angrily scratched at them while cursing the trees that drop their seeds in my garden beds.
While I’m attempting not to be choked by the weeds in the garden and simultaneously trying to breathe through the tightening that life has on my lungs, I made a dish of roasted radishes. After everyone had filled up on homemade bread, corn from the corner, radishes, and sausages, we snapped our helmets on and rode off to the lake to catch the sunset before heading home to read the last of Harry Potter together and turn in for the night, windows open, breeze blowing. I’ll take my moments where I can get them.
Thyme, champagne vinegar, and raw honey glaze these garden-grown radishes before they are roasted so their bite mellows, but their crunch remains. I sliced a baby garden leek to caramelize on the pan with them. The vibrant coloring and stark white flesh of the radishes stands out on your dinner table, a bit of glitter amongst the everyday offerings.
Thyme Roasted Radishes with Champagne Honey Vinaigrette
- 3 cups radishes (about 2½ pounds or two large bunches), rinsed and halved
- 2 small leeks or 1 medium leek, sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (extra to finish, if desired)
- 1 clove minced garlic
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Place the halved radishes, sliced leeks, thyme, and parsley in a large bowl.
- In a small cup or bowl, combine the champagne vinegar, olive oil, honey, sea salt, and the garlic. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the radishes, and toss to coat. Pour the radish mixture onto a sheet pan in a single layer.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the outsides are starting to wrinkle slightly and the leeks have started to brown. Remove from the oven and serve warm, finishing with a sprinkle of sea salt if desired.