One of the things we strive for when planning our menus is making everything fit together into one nice, neat little package. We look to use ingredients in different ways throughout the week so that we’re benefiting from the ability of do-aheads and being able to buy in bulk. We also benefit from a well-stocked pantry.
I have what I lovingly refer to as “canoe burn.” It’s that red knee from sitting on a big, open lake with the sun reflecting off the shimmering surface and burning its rays right into your exposed thighs and knees, despite your best efforts to protect them. I’m not complaining, though. The weather was beautiful, and I honestly wish I could have spent another full week in the middle of it with my family, swimming in the cold water and hiking up palisade after palisade to look out over a tree-covered eternity.
Re-entry thus far has been rough. The letdown after a few days of bliss, the bedtime routine mangled and the work piling up in my inbox (let’s not go there, please), not to mention the sports schedules and photo sessions that start bright and early the very next morning (8:00 a.m., anyone?).
After I unpacked and sorted through load after load of forest-stained clothing, I was amazed at just how much Boundary Waters adventure we brought home with us that was now settling into my living room rug and sitting on my wood floors. Luckily, my new WindTunnel, courtesy of Hoover, took care of the mess on both floors with the flick of a switch and left me again with a semi-clean living room. It was extremely useful, and we’ve been enjoying the convenience as a family with both hardwood with rugs and carpet in the basement. Plus, the retractable cord makes putting the vacuum away after using it a breeze. Now, if someone would just come and wash and fold laundry.
I’m giving a Hoover WindTunnel MAX to one lucky Food for My Family Reader:
-7 Floor Settings – adjustable nozzle for every floor type regardless of the surface
-Multi-Cyclonic Technology – 12 cyclones separate fine particles of dirt before reaching the filter with less frequent filter rinsing
-Maximum 28 Feet Automatic Cord Rewind – 28′ auto rewind cord (the longest Hoover® offers) rewinds in seconds at the touch of a button
-Up to 18’ Feet of Above-The-Floor Cleaning Reach – maximum stretched cleaning of stairs, window sills, curtains and hard-to-reach areas.
-Fabulous Filtration – multi-cyclonic filtration, rinsable primary filter and a high-quality final filter made with HEPA media
This week it’s all about quick and easy to prepare, as well as fitting into our Summer Pantry Challenge so I don’t have to run to the store, but I also give myself time to play catchup after being gone for four days. I’m also putting the finishing touches on my french fry recipe for Alexia Foods. I have the flavors narrowed down, and I’m working on how the method on how to properly bake a french fry for the perfect crispy results.
The Preparation Shortcuts:
1. We’re using leftover salmon from our trip for this salad and filling it up with all the garden produce that has been growing while we were gone.
2. Tomatoes are finally ready here, and I’m taking advantage of our ten plants by using them in multiple ways this week. It will make shopping a breeze, and it will ensure none of them go to waste.
3. Caprese Pasta and Omelets comes straight from the pantry and the garden. They’re simple and easy. I’m adding some bacon I have in the fridge to go alongside the omelets, and I’ll use leftover chicken with the pasta to help satisfy the carnivore husband.
4. Use the tomato crumble as a good vehicle to get rid of extra herbs or onions and other vegetables from the earlier food, too.
The Shopping List:
1 whole roaster chicken
1/2 pound asparagus
1 pound fresh mozzarella
1 pound salmon
extra virgin olive oil
red wine vinegar
spicy brown mustard
salt and pepper
Garden or Farmers Market Items:
1/2 pound fresh green beans
3 cups baby white potatoes
3 ears corn
2 pounds cherry tomatoes
6 pounds mixed variety tomatoes
1 teaspoon parsley
1 tablespoon fresh dill
1/4 cup scallions
1 cup fresh basil
2 sprigs fresh oregano
HOW TO ENTER TO WIN a Hoover WindTunnel MAX
1. Leave a comment about anything that strikes your fancy: your hardwood floors, what you’re eating this week, whatever. I love hearing from you.
2. Follow @FoodforMyFamily on Twitter and tweet the following, and come back and let me know you did:
Win a Hoover WindTunnel Upright Vacuum from @FoodforMyFamily http://wp.me/puu57-2so
3. Join the Food for My Family community on Facebook. Come back and leave a comment letting me know you did so.
4. Join the Hoover community on Facebook. Come back and leave a comment letting me know you did so.
This giveaway will run until Sunday, July 24th at 11:59 p.m. EDT and is open to all U.S. residents. A winner will be chosen at random using Random.org from all eligible entries. Each reader has 4 chances to win by completing the above tasks and leaving a separate comment for each entry method completed. Chosen winner must respond within 48 hours of notification to claim their prize. Good luck!
Hoover sent me a WindTunnel to review of my own. I was not compensated for this post and the views and opinions are my own.